Sunday, October 09, 2011

Goose Fair

The Wheel
View from The Wheel

For anyone who has read old posts you will know about Goose Fair and apologies.  For those who haven't here are the details.  Goose Fair is held in Nottingham on the first Thursday in October for three days.  

The name stems from the Geese which used to be driven into the City from Lincoln where they were sold to be fattened in time for Christmas.  The earliest fair is thought to be 1284 and it was moved to October dates in 1752.  The Fair has not been continuous as it was cancelled in 1646 because of the plague and during the two World Wars.  It moved from the City Centre during the 1920's to its current location just outside the city at The Forrest Recreation Ground.  
It has always been a tradition in our family to go on a Friday evening and we have carried that on with our Boys.  This year we took them and Eldest's Girlfriend too!  We park in the City and walk out to the fair and then when we get back go for a meal.  It was a really great evening and the rain held off.  

Here are a couple of pictures the first is the wheel, whilst I was waiting for them to come off the dodgems and the second is from the wheel!

Susie x

2 comments:

  1. Hello.... I am new to blogging and have been hunting for interesting people to follow. I love the photo on your blog, and then came to say hi, and realised you were blogging about Goose fair. I love Goose fair, but didn't manage to go this year - which was a shame. I hope you don't mind that I have decided to follow you and hear about what you get up to.
    As I said I am new to blogging, and so any tips gratefully received... pop over to my blog if you get the chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Always glad to hear from new people, yes Goose Fair is great. Hope the feeds and nappies are not too time consuming for you. Blogging is easy until you get too busy and forget to blog and suddenly you realise it has been a month since you wrote anything! I just tend to talk about what's happening and things I am doing but that can also be a challenge as some days are just normal! Hope the blogging goes well. Susie

    ReplyDelete